Bugs Everywhere!

Scarab Tattoo Copyright Jennifer Rose Phillip

When I get stuck for something to draw, I draw bugs. More specfically scarabs. I have always wanted a tattoo of an egyptian styled scarab, but have yet to draw one that I liked enough to get on me for life (its not the needles, just not sure how a design is going to look in 20 years, lines can morph into some really weird things, and I don't want a bug to suddenly look like a face when skin starts to wrinkle [be even creepier if it looked like someone I knew]). Of course this does mean that most of my sketchbooks are filled with doodles of the little designs and there are scraps of paper across most of Canada with the little scribbles on them (possibly a few tables too...)

I usually do a little quick line sketch of the design and then draw half of it. Scan the half and then in Photoshop, put the design together. Saves a lot of problems when trying to get things lined up properly (this one isnt done, and not lined up correctly yet). Re-print the edited design, ink and then colour. Easy and on to the next bug.

Comments

  1. This is an awesome drawing Jennifer! It would make a really nice tattoo, but I understand your concern about gravity taking over and morphing it into something other than a scarab. Maybe you can find a location to have it done that's less affected by the ravages of time? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! Great idea to create a symmetrical drawing. I usually "tough it out". I am slow to learn that these "new-fangled
    technogadget-thingeys" are good for something! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rita and Leslie :)

    I could maybe get a small one on my wrist, cause I can't think of any part of the body that is not going to be effected by gravity. There are certainly parts that I would never get tattooed even now. :p

    Yeah as long as the "new-fangled techy things" actually work, its a good idea. I'm lost when they don't work and when it comes to figuring symmetrical stuff out and doing it by hand. lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3