Finished Foxgloves

Copyright Jennifer Rose Phillip
Coloured pencils on black Stonehenge
5x5 Inches

Finally finished the Foxgloves. It was an interesting experiment with the paper and I did come to the conclusion that I like black Stonehenge but still hate the white version. Not too happy with that bell on the top right, but for an experiment I like how it turned out :)

You can see in the close-up how the pencils blend on top of the paper. Colour is easily built up and there is no need for dozens of layers to get any kind of value to what you are drawing. I do still think that the pencils act more like pastels on the paper, they seem to blend differently, more like chalk pastels do. I didn't have any problems with any yellows turning green or changing colour but that might be because I was using a very light touch. I didn't have to burnish the layers, I found that after a few layers that happened on its own.

The paper didn't warp or bend as it is pretty thick, but like most black papers it is easy to scratch. If you transfer your line art onto this paper be very careful with what you use. I used coloured transfer paper and had no problem erasing it or going over it with the coloured pencils, but when I squared off the paper I used graphite. The graphite did not get covered up by the coloured pencil when it got covered and left a very noticeable line. It was put down with a very light pressure but still left a line, thankfully not in the drawing area.

I'm curious to how pastels would actually work on this paper, so after I finish up my eagles and Halloween dragons for this year I want to try that :) Print of this tomorrow, once I get the colours sorted out on them.

Comments

  1. This is lovely! The colors just glow on that paper. I've never tried drawing on black paper but you make it look easy with these fantastic results. I am sure it isn't easy though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to see experimentation all around. :-) Color on black/dark backgrounds is one of my favorite looks. Good job on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:14 am

    The foxgloves have turned out really well Jennifer,and this paper seems to work for you. Methinks I will have another go at it and see if I get any success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a perfectionist. I couldn't see anything wrong with the right foxglove. They are beautiful and hey nature is never perfect is it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! I love the colours on the black background :)
    It's great to experiment too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you Ann :) drawing on black paper I find is easier then drawing on white. there is a base values already there so it halves the amount of work.

    thanks Tara :)

    thanks Vic and thanks for the paper again! good luck with the paper :)

    Shashi- no, not a perfectionist, just picky :p thank you :)

    Alison- thank you :D the colour do look pretty nice on the black

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! They do glow...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you enjoyed working on the black Stonehenge. I like how certain colours really pop on coloured paper. I like the colours you blended together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks Michelle and Teresa :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great colours, they look lovely. Thanks for the detailed info about the qualities of stonehenge paper; makes me excited to try out the sheet I bought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks Ingrid :) there is a huge difference between the 2 colours, a lot more then I thought there would be :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3