Runaway Gum Balls

"Runaway Gum Balls" Copyright Jennifer Rose Phillip

So here is a small look at one of the current works in progress. For being done on black paper it is taking longer than I though it would. Possibly because I have never done that many reflections before. I can already see a few points in the reflected gum balls that need to be changed. It actually looks better upside down, I guess I could always hang it that way ;)

I think the only reason I managed to do a still life of candy without eating the subjects, was because I can't chew gum without it either sticking to my teeth, ending up in my hair, or on the bottom of my shoes. Thats always the worst; ending up trekking gum through the house while you pick up every stray dust bunny and crumb with the dog following behind trying to eat the gum and crumbs off your shoes (I have had some really weird dogs). Simple solution for getting gum out of my hair was usually to cut it, or just pull it out (along with a lot of cursing).

And a sketch of what I am going to put on my business cards. I will have a set with a dragon on them and a set with this tiger on them, I think its a good idea to have both since fantasy and wildlife art iare both part of the business. The plan is to do the eyes in coloured pencil and the rest in graphite. Its roughly 6 by 7 Inches, transferred and ready to be coloured, I just wanted to try to get as much of the gum balls done today before I started.

"Tiger Business Card Design" Copyright Jennifer Rose Phillip


Comments

  1. Anonymous8:08 am

    Oh, I am loving this! And my dog would follow you to the ends of the earth to eat the chewed gum and stuff...YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:32 pm

    I enjoy seeing the "sketchy" lines of a drawing. Like the far ear, and the decisions you are making about them.
    Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Leslie :)
    Some of the things dogs try to eat makes me wonder if they even have taste buds lol

    I'm going to refine the tiger so its not so sketchy on the cards, I like the sketchy look but it doesn't look professional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:14 am

    Dogs don't have taste buds, or maybe they just don't have "good taste".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to try to find any info about dog's taste buds, never actually thought about it before. Hmm..."Dogs have far fewer taste buds than do humans, approximately one for every six"

    http://www.avalanche.org/~doghouse/
    3%20canis%20familiaris/
    1%20a%20Dogs%20BRAIN.htm
    (separated because blogger cuts off the link)

    that explains a lot why dogs eat weird things :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:21 pm

    That is a major cool link about avalanche dogs! I found the taste reference. I like the description, "pleasant, indifferent, and unpleasant" registering of tastes.
    My dog obviously finds all things pleasant, but never indifferent! :)

    I will, I swear, get busy with the next colored pencil post. I have been flitting around like a bug on the blogs, rather than 'working'. Thanks for the prompt :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3