O Tannenbaum

People were always looking at me strange when I would start singing O Tannenbaum. I never knew the rest of the lyrics in German before but here they are from Wikipedia (so they could be wrong) :

O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
Wie grün sind deine Blätter!
Du grünst nicht nur zur Sommerzeit,
Nein auch im Winter, wenn es schneit.

O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
Wie grün sind deine Blätter!
O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
Du kannst mir sehr gefallen!
Wie oft hat schon zur Winterszeit
Ein Baum von dir mich hoch erfreut!

O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
Du kannst mir sehr gefallen! O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
Dein Kleid will mich was lehren:
Die Hoffnung und Beständigkeit
Gibt Mut und Kraft zu jeder Zeit!

O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
Dein Kleid will mich was lehren!

Sing it with me!

Actually I have no idea how to pronounce any of that besides the first line but it would be cool to learn German. Art post later, but for now here is the new Xmas tree John's parents bought (its fake, but better for the environment). Almost everyone in the house caught some kind of flu, so apologise for the lack of weekend posting. :/

Comments

  1. Jennifer, funny thing is I ONLY know the German words to this song. I took German in high school and we sang this every year in class. To figure out the English words I try to translate from German, but it's not quite the same. I even taught my daughters how to sing it in German two years ago when they were only 6!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be able to sing it in German. :D We only had French and Spanish in High school, and I only remember how to count to ten. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a friend in 6th grade teach the whole school class the German. I remember the first 2 lines :)
    I can't help but sing them when I hear the tune!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3