Melted Wires and Imminent Death by Electric BBQ

So there was this odd smell in the bathroom the past few days. But it wasn't always there. So yesterday while Mr Fuzzy was in the shower the smell was very strong (it wasn't him :p). He thought it could be the wires in the switch and then the switch stopped working, so grabbed the little ladder and had a look. Now remember to turn off power to the shower when trying to do something like this! (don't want anyone getting hurt trying to have a look)

[For those of you wondering why we have electricity going into the shower, most showers in the UK have their own water heater built in so in theory the water temp doesnt change if someone turns on the taps /flushes the toilet - in practise the kitchen tap is fed directly off the water main as is the shower.....so turning on the tap to do dishes results in a yell and a stream of obscenities from the person in the shower....usually me...yet she swears its an "accident" everytime it happens - a "semi scalded" Mr Fuzzy (I is evil....hehehe - Mrs Fuzzy) ].

Unscrewed the switch and saw the above. Melted black wires (that are supposed to be red [and thus live with 230Volts and 40amps...yes you did read that right and thats 80 amps in North American electrics.....ack! - Mr Fuzzy]) that did have a chance of catching fire and killing us all in a blaze of glory (probably a bit of an exaggeration, but probably still could have caught on fire { see post title and labels :-) } [The post title sounds like something that would be written by Christopher Brookmyre... - Mr Fuzzy {Arrrr I be hijacking this blog of the 7 intarwebs}].

Its fixed now, so we can keep clean :p But now I know if I smell that again to turn off the shower as soon as I can.

And finished up the pockets that for my moon/star bag. The light purple/blue pocket bag with a zipper is for inside to put loose change or things I don't want to fall out or get stolen easily. The patterned fabric pocket is just a front peace which will be stitched on to another panel so didn't need to be enclosed, just needs a button or two. The thin strip of patterned fabric if where a button hole will be going. I had forgotten how to sew zippers into pockets *blushes* so there is probably an easier way to sew zippers on pockets than they way I ended up doing it.

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:07 pm

    Arrr...ye mischievous pirate people could 'ave been hoisted on yer own petard!
    So when ye goes ta fiddlin' with the water, the screams ye hear could be electrocution' not scaldin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! and I thought the Scots language was confusing o.0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:07 am

    loosely translated... What!? Are you Crazy? Taking a bath with exposed live wires!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep crazy :) I laugh at Death in the face ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Methinks a leccy bloke needs to check it all over....water & electric = very bad!!!! I one found my son playing his playstation in the tub and he still can't understand why I freaked out! Doh ;-) Love the bag, the material is gorgeous :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I am hoping that I get most of the bag finished today :)

    As long as this new switch doesn't burn it should be fine (but I am going to be very careful if I ever smell that smell again. [run out of the house naked away from the flames :p I would hope I remembered to bring a towel in the bathroom to cover up with lol Don't want to scare the neighbours. I could always hide behind the mutant killer squash :p])

    playstation in the tub!?! that would have been a bit of a shock!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3