My Sore Bleeding Fingers

Worked on my new bag today. Added the pocket to the inside panel (it really is not as crooked in person :p) Than I pinned piping all around the edge of the fabric. Make sure that when using piping that you place it properly, good side usually away from the edge of the fabric. Try to get the piping as even as possible around corners, or you could just not have round corners which makes things easier lol
I had already sewed the sides of the bag together yesterday, so I pinned this good sides facing in so it lined up with the piping. At this point the ends of my fingers were getting pretty sore from getting pricked by pins, I was feeling weak from blood loss :p Now I remember why I only used piping if I really have to :p It does give a really neat edge to bags and pillows though.

I just used your basic straight stitch to join the pieces together, going slowly so that I had the needle as flush with the piping as I could get it. Still quicker than doing it by hand.

You don't have to sew the sides before hand. but I find it easier to have them put together instead of trying to sew them once they are attached to the bag.

And this is where I should have used an iron to flatten the corners so they both laid in the same direction. I ended up sewing the left corner so that it opened the wrong way on itself. oops easily fixed with a seam ripper (which also leaves a few good holes in my finger tips). Its not the neatest corner, but as this bag is pretty much for me, I can live with it. If I do make any bags for other people I will definitely use an iron to keep things neater.

So its started to look more like a messenger bag now. Most of my bags are pretty big as I do carry a lot of stuff with me. Never saw the point of those little itty really girly bags that couldn't hold a lot. The other side panel to add, the 2 pieces of the top flap, the lining bag, and than the straps. Which have to be long enough for both me and Mr.Fuzzy in case he has to carry my bag (manly stars and moons :p)

Comments

  1. Sounds like the making of bags is highly dangerous, did you carry out a risk assessment first, LOL. Its looking good though and I cannot be doing with itty bitty bags either - ChrissyX

    ReplyDelete
  2. very dangerous ;) If I can't fit my FiloFax in a bag its no use to me lol (plus my wallet, phone, sketchbook, camera....laptop (well ok that might be taking it a little far ;p)

    At least this time I didn't put the needle through the centre of my thumbnail lol hmm maybes its safer to sew by hand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the demo Jennifer! I may have to get out my sewing machine and have a go at making my own bag. I used to be an itty bitty bag carrier but then I had a child and had to carry band-aids, wipes, tissues, and needed glasses, got a cell phone, etc. etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your welcome Ann :) yeah that sounds like the contents of my bags (no kids here and I still have all that stuff lol). Add a few dog treats into it when I had a dog lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3