January 24th Photos

Really icy today so more past pictures to post (sorry again). Here are some pictures from around Forfar. Even though I haven't taken that many photos, I am trying really hard to keep taking & posting photos of this area so people can get an idea of what things look like :)

Steeple in town taken from the one of many graveyards in town. I really like this graveyard. Its very small, and there are a lot of old stones. Even though it is pretty much right down town, its very quiet. Steeple was erected by the people of the town and it is attached to the East & Old church (an amalgamation of the East Church and the Old church (which it was previously long ago) Interestingly and some might say typically, when the Steeple Bell arrived from Sweden (a gift from ex-pats) Dundee tried to claim, saying it was "too good for Forfar", threw the silver bell tongue in the River Tay (thus robbing the bell of its intended sound) anyways read more here (Mr Fuzzy says Forfar should have burnt Dundee to the ground and improved the place majorly instead of purchasing the land Forfar Road sits on :-P (Why don't people who live on Forfar Road pay Angus Council Tax then if Forfar owns it?? ) )< he stole my blog :P

1645 There were a lot of these little skulls on a lot of the stones. Reminded me a lot of the carvings and drawings I have seen made for Día de los Muertos.

And a picture where you can see how sloped the land is now. People are not buried there anymore, not enough space.



Reid hall that was donated to the town from Peter Reid. There are book sales, concerts and plays there among other things.


Red phone box :) Like the red double deckers, they are disappearing because people have cell phones (the boxes, not the buses :p they disappeared because of their age, but they are coming back).

Puffin crossing. I had no idea why it was called that so had to look it up. They make noise when its green to cross. First time I heard that was in NZ and I thought it was odd then. Makes sense to make a noise, but the ones in Canada don't (or didn't) or rather I didn't notice, till Mr Fuzzy pointed it out. NZ and Canuck one buzz, British ones beep at a highish pitch , plus they have ridged tiles at the crossing to mark it for visually impaired people.

Post box. There was a post office next to this but it was shut down. So now we all have to go to the main post office and deal with the *!^*! down there. I swear I have never met a group of people more unwilling to help anyone then the women that work there. hmm no big surprise the people delievering the mail were involved with a mail scandal and were not delivering mail and stealing it too.

Pet store, brewing store and some council building to the right of that behind the sign. There are flats down that little alley which I can't imagine living in as there are so many pubs in the area.

(I think Mrs Fuzzy needs a dictionary, given the amount of edits I had to make :-P, yet she denies she is dyslexic -> Mr Fuzzy)

Comments

  1. Even though your photos were not taken today but they are very interesting! Love the one with the little skulls and other things on it. Does look like something for the Day of the Dead (Dia de Los Muertos) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kerry, I enjoyed all of these and reading about them. Great photos...

    Love the red telephone booth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting pics today, Jennifer. I remember when we had the red phone boxes here too....now they are more modern looking. Our traffic lights do the beeping thing too for visually-impaired people...comes in very handy for Brad though, sometimes, the traffic drowns out the beeping. There was a similar scandal re. mail/gifts being stolen by postal workers in Australia some months ago....not sure what area though.

    For Mr Fuzzy - I think Mrs Fuzzy is just trying to keep you busy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel like I just got a tour of the town with you. I find it so interesting to see your area like this...makes the place where you live more real, not just a city, state in words. Feel like I have been traveling and it didn't even cost me any gas money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely joint blog mr & mrs fuzzy!
    lol

    in Inverness where i grew up they have crossing that tell you it is safe to cross using a recording of a women on one half of the duel crossing and a man on the other half!!

    I love your photo tour !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:50 pm

    Facinating steeple and Reid Hall looks like it would be wonderful to explore the interior. Such an interesting graveyard and stones, I love the carvings on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, I wondered where Mr Fuzzy had got to, glad to hear you are keeping him busy Jen, LOL!
    Great photographs, I am also trying to bump up the ones I take locally. We could all use a little tourtism right now

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the comments everyone :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice pictures! Love them, red color just pope out , great

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3