April Book Wrap Up

Read 7 books in April, some were pretty good, other were pretty bad.


 Caliban's War (Expanse, #2)Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Great book, funny and fast paced. I thought this sequel was better then the first actually :)




The PenelopiadThe Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really wish this was longer, it only took about 2 hours to read and I did feel like the story could have been expanded, not like there is a lack of source material. Was an interesting take on The Odyssey, and one of the characters from it. (haven't read The Odyssey, but like a lot of people know the story)


Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)Sky on Fire by Emmy Laybourne
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I think I just read this for filler :p Very predictable and nothing special. Thought to give the series another chance, but not going to be continuing with it :/ Not worth it when there are better books out there.


Also read Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige, but didn't manage to write a review, rated it 4 out of 5 stars tho.

Recovering from LifeRecovering from Life by Debra McKenna
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The story of a married women, who finds out her husband is back taking drugs and has completely ruined her financially and emotionally. The story is about her getting her life back on track.

Over all I enjoyed the book, there were some funny moments but also a few moments where I was shaking my head at the stupid things the main character did. Shaking my head and saying out loud why are you doing that?!


The secondary characters are well written and do not drag the story down, but instead help the story progress as the main character, Stephanie, tries to get her life in order. You do really get a sense of her struggles and how they effect her, and do start caring if things will work out for her in the end.

I really enjoyed the ending, while a bit predictable, you are glad it happens the way it does. The book was a fast read, and I didn't feel like the writing slowed down or became too boring to continue reading.

Worth a read if you like reading about a person overcoming their struggles in life, and want to also have a bit of a laugh while she does it.

12 Years A Slave12 Years A Slave by Solomon Northup
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

How do you rate/review a book when its about such a touchy subject?? This is why I never read biographies, they are in the end, one person's account of events and can be so personnel its very hard to review. This book does have moments that can be hard to read, makes me really wonder why people thought it was okay to treat another human that way.

Really worth the read for anyone interested in the time period, and want to read a first hand account of slavery at the time.

How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional UniverseHow to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I really tried to like this book since I do like books on time travel and paradoxes, but I found it really slow. I know you need to explain how time travel works in the world of the story, but I thought it took up so much of the book, there wasn't much of a story to read.

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I saw the Penelopiad in the Library on Friday and ummed and ahhed about borrowing it, and didn't. I shall go back for it now!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3