Weekly Book Wrap-Up August 22, 2015

Only managed to read one book this week (must read faster), but am about a third of the way through Lolita. Lolita is wonderfully written, it actually is a great book, if you can get over the subject matter enough to see that the book is well written.


Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1)Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

ok thats it, I give up on King for awhile, the only reason I finished this was because I had more than half of it finished before it really started to go downhill. Just too predictable, characters made no sense in what they did and I found the main characters just full of cliches that I thought didn't work. The bad guy in the story was like a cardboard cutout written by someone who just finished reading about serial killers/mass murderers and decided to put all of their traits together into one person. And the ending...setting up for a poor sequel with the bad guy?? Pass

View all my reviews


I have pretty much lost all faith in King's books right now. Which is a shame since I have bee a fan since I was probably 12. This week I am going to try to finish Lolita and I also started to read Uncle Tom's Cabin. And at 522 pages I ore than likely wont finish it this coming week :p

Comments

  1. My mom was a huge SK fan, she swore that after his accident, he just didn't write the same and she gave up on him.
    At least you got a book finished this week, I am going to be stuck on the same book for a few more weeks cause I just can't read a lot at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your mom, his writing changed after his accident which is understandable, but its not what you expect from King anymore.
      Hopefully you find you get some more time to finish your book :)

      Delete
  2. So I'm not the only one who gave up on SK - was a huge fan but also think, after he was hit by the car while jogging, he has never seemed as sharp or as creative. I did enjoy Lolita and, although a very touchy subject, Nabokov writes well and captures you in his story. I tend to read murder mysteries and then non-fiction memoirs when I get burned out on those. Chris Bohjalian, Jodi Picoult, Kate Atkinson - just a few of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another person thinking his accident changed his writing, glad I am not the only one :) I want to read more by Nabokov if they are all written like Lolita:)
      I read anything lol except memoirs for some reason, not sure why tho. Your faves are worth reading :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3