Saturday, January 02, 2016

Top 5 Books from 2015

The top 5 books I read in 2015. Its actually very hard to choose one book over another if they were both really good books, but if I found one book more memorable than the other, it made the list.

5.Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & SorceryRat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A PG13 version of D&D :p




4.The Tenant of Wildfell HallThe Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Slow to start but hard to put down once the story really starts.




3.North and SouthNorth and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Like Pride and Prejudice, but not as posh :p





2.Moby-Dick; or, The WhaleMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman Melville
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Yes this is very wordy and took a little longer than I would have liked to read, but I never found it boring. Its full of a lot of info about whaling in the 1850's, which while a horrible thing, interesting to read about the process and the thoughts people had on whales. The ending is very fitting character wise but I can't say why without giving the ending away :p

Probably not a book for everyone since it is very wordy and has a very slow build up, but enjoyed every word myself :)

1.LolitaLolita by Vladimir Nabokov
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Beautifully written. such wonderful prose for such a dark subject matter.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Hats off to you for reading so many books last year! And hats off to you for these great recommendations. Hard to choose which one to pick-up first!

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

thanks, probably don't start with Moby Dick. great book, just very long :p