Early Halloween?

Bookmarks! :D Made them today and cut them, now I need a new blade for my cutters. 2 for $5 or 1 for $3 (plus shipping)

I have free shipping until August 10th (plug ;) ) in my Etsy store.

On to the art :D

So I have almost finished the eagle I started months ago and got put away while we moved. The main chest feathers are mapped in and now its just a matter of layer upon layer of colour to build up the values.

Does anyone think the background is a tad bright for the bird? I want to do a series of birds with similar backgrounds (colours to match the bird). Maybe tone it down? Or make it brighter?

And I tried doing a Halloween picture last year but I ran out of time. So this year I thought that I would start early :) (ok it could have been earlier, but I have the Xmas picture drawn already so thats really early).

So this is the quick sketch in my little sketchbook (making a cover for that, so that will be another blog post). Very quick loose lines just to get a rough idea where things are going to be.

And this is the sketch. Most of its has been refined, more will be refined when I transfer it to better paper.

Too busy? Too lop-sided? Thoughts are really welcome :D I really wanted to have a longer epitaph on the gravestone but ran out of space. ["Here lies the body of Jonathan Blake; Stepped on the gas instead of the brake."]


I have come to realize I have 2 styles. The more cartoony dragons and the semi-realistic animals. Not sure if that is a bad thing or not. lol

Comments

  1. Hi Jen...good to see you have pulled him back out. I really like this one. On artforums there is guy called Hunterpaul and I really like his backgrounds, he sort of does a realistic fuzzy out of focus natural coloured background...I think you can view the work in progress area without joining, check it out, his are all birds of prey.
    Two styles huh, I think you work is identifiable as you in most of the things you do. I am getting very worried about my style, I seem to be diversifying all over the place....although my subjects are mainly animals, people or water...not a still life to be seen, I hate doing fruit and similar stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say, love the Halloween sketch I would take out one of the gravestones or move one, because it is very symmetrical and halloween isn't...what daft comments I make but I know what I mean. Good thing to get ahead, would imagine you could do well on that one on ETSY September time:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chrissy :) I will go have a look at his art. Love art that has birds of prey as the subject matter.

    I'm not a fan of still lifes either, find them really boring. I am going to have to bite the bullet though and do a few for my portfolio if I am going to try to go to school.:/

    I think the style thing has just been bugging me lately. Not 100% why. Just when I looked at the art that I have kept over the last year, a lot of it looks like it was drawn by a different person. Another thing for me to work on (among the list of many lol)

    Thanks, I will take out the gravestone on the right. :) I thought it did look a little bit too symmetrical but wasn't sure. I like getting advice about thing like that. Sometimes it is very hard when looking at a sketch to see what might be wrong after having looked at it for hours.

    I'm hoping it does well on Etsy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if I had the opportunity to go and take a fine arts course, I would maybe push myself hard and do some still lifes, but it is unlikely for me unless I win the lottery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:21 am

    The bookmarks look amazing!
    I like the quote about the gazelle.

    On the eagle, it's more the tone than the color of the background. Go either way darker, or lighter than the eagle. The colors of the background are great.

    And isn't Hallloween a fun holiday to draw for?
    You know I have a thing for pumpkins :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bookmarks look great!

    I have to agree with Leslie as far as the eagle goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks about the bookmarks everyone :)

    I am trying to make the eagle darker than the background. But I am running out of tooth on the paper, and its Stonehenge paper which takes a lot of layer lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3