Rust

No I didn't throw up on a piece of fabric and call it art :p Its my first try at a rust print. Wasn't actually looking to make anything pretty, just seeing if it would work.

Took a rusty tube,( looked like a car part, but I'm not really sure), wrapped it in a whitish rag and then soaked it with vinegar. The classroom smelt like I had gone out for fish and chips :p

Let it dry over the weekend and then unwrapped it. I know it works now, so can try again with different shapes and fabric. This will probably just get glued into my sketchbook along with any notes I make. I found that the vinegar worked better than using salt and water. The salt still worked, but the print was very very light.

Comments

  1. Wow I have never heard of this before.Will be interesting to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'd never heard of it before either, not sure really what to do with it now lol

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. i did want to go to the chippy after :p

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a great effect. Mind you, with the fish'n'chips smell it wouldn't make good clothing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! once its dry you can wash it with colour fixing stuff and then it shouldn't smell (at least that is what i read :p) don't want the neighbourhood cats following you around :p

      Delete
  4. I love the colours in rust. I wouldn't have thought to make a rust print. Ah, the things you learn in school! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i actually found the idea online when i was researching image transfers, my teacher had never heard of it before

      Delete
  5. Now I want to try it. I'm sure I can find some rusty car parts in the field out back. Is the stain permanent, is it more a method for wall art (ie. something that doesn't get washed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the stain is permanent once its washed with the stuff that sets dye in fabric, i have seen some really nice rust print scarves that can be washed

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3