Messed up Mr.Angry

"Mr.Angry" Copyright Jennifer Rose Phillip

So this is the messed up leopard drawing. I think the background is the wrong colour and really doesn't go with the leopard. It was a nice swirly blend of light blues, and light aqua colours, but I thought it was maybe a little too light and now its too dark and you can't see the aqua colours at all. I didn't finish his neck, so that does look a little strange. I did think about just leaving the background as the light grey paper colour but the leopard was almost lost on the paper.

I'm posting it so that if anyone has any suggestions about how to maybe make this look a lot better they might suggest something. This is a complete A4 un-cropped scan, if I did finish this I would def. crop it. I though about making the background darker than it is, don't think that would make it any worse. If I did do that, I would finish the leopard and make his dark values darker. And fix the right eye so its darker, have more of a shadow under his brow so he doesn't look so cross eyed *laughs*

Live and learn. I don't mind making mistakes, learn more from messing up than having every drawing turn out the way I wanted.

Finished 5 pieces of line art plus started to transfer that Scarab onto paper that I can use ink on. I like when I have days where I get lots of drawings done, or lots of different pieces of line art completed, means I can spend the rest of the week colouring and working on personal art.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Comments

  1. Not messed up at all! I reach places on my colored pencil work that I call "the ugly stage". I have heard other artists note this stage in their work, too, so it's not my imagination. Nothing looks right, and I think I have ruined my work to that point. My boo-boo lip sticks out, and I pitch a little fit. It just means that you still have hours to go. No, DAYS, MONTHS...kidding. Remember, you are a colored pencil slave.
    The ideas you had of cropping, and darker background are exactly how I would proceed. Crop first! Less to have to color in:) (Trick #1. in the colored pencil slave handbook...crop)
    I don't think the color of the background is so much the issue, as the tone. Darker will make that bad boy jump off the page.
    He is too, too beautiful to feel unsure of him. Look at your really big blue bird, and see how jewel like that is because of the dark background. Mr. Angry will look like that too.
    You ordered a colored pencil slave driver? At yer service...
    Leslie
    Thanks for the comments on my blog, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. months!!??!! I couldn't imagine spending that much time on a piece of art, I think I would go mad lol! thanks leslie :)
    Going to try today to make the background darker and cross my fingers the paper will take anymore layers.

    Your welcome for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3