Salty Dragon

Copyright Jennifer Rose Phillip

Quick little experiment. The dragon is graphite and the background is done with Neocolour 2 and some salt. Well there isn't any salt left on it, that got brushed away. I wanted to see how the wet Neocolours would act when salt was placed on it, if the same effects that can be achieved with watercolours will also work with this medium.

So I laid down a few scribbles with the crayons and used a bit of water and than a lot of salt (it fell out of my hands, oops). Too much salt and not enough water so I wasn't left with a speckled effect. There was a huge blotchy effect where the salt had clumped together in a pile so at least I know I can get the crayons to look that way :p. I used more water the next time and just a pinch of salt and the effect turned out much better. Not perfect but it did produce a speckled effect that you can sort of see near the top of the card (much more noticeable in person). I'm sure that if I used actual watercolour paper instead of Stonehenge I might get more speckling.

And I got a few strange looks in the house when I said I was using salt and crayons together. (must remember to keep the salt used for art away from the salt used for fries...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3