Another Step to Being Finished

So here we have a "bad" corner. Its not a weak corner, I just sewed over the piping by accident. When I make bags for other people and this happens, (doesn't happen that often. Piping is easy to sew. Just a pain on the fingers :p) I undue the stitches and do it again.

An example of a neat proper looking corner. Now I am thinking that I should have maybe used purple or even a light yellow piping so it stands out more. Next time I will remember to take a fabric sample with me when I go get piping.

Here we have the inner pockets sewn to the lining. If people want me to make a pocket tut, just let me know. Its not hard :) I used a straight stitch to keep it in place and than I used a stronger stitch as this pocket will probably be used to keep change or my cell phone in and I don't want it ripping away from the lining.

This is putting the finished lining onto the outer layer of the bag. The lining is just fabric cut to the same sizes of the pattern of the outer layer. I forgot to photograph that sorry.

For this type of bag make sure when sewing the lining to the outer layer that the "good" sides of the fabric are facing each other as they are above. It is kind of hard to see, but you place the outside lining into the inside lining, good sides touching. Sew around the edges leaving at least a quarter inch seam allowance, but leave a section so you can turn the bag inside out (well right side out I guess...thats confusing :p)

The inside of the bag when the lining is pulled through the opening that was left. To close the opening I just use a ladder stitch as it works very well and most of the time you can not see the stitches.

An overview of the bag with the zipper. You could sew the zipper when you put the lining on but I wanted this to look a certain way so it is going on separately. And I broke down and used an iron to get the fabric flat for the zipper :p I still need to put the straps on this and than fill it with books :) Bags always look better when they are full :) I didn't use interfacing with this fabric, I could have but wanted a floppy look to it, and the only interfacing I have right now is pretty heavy.

I might redo these posts on the bag and word them all like a tutorial. Might help some people one day.

Comments

  1. No amount of tutorial would help me with this one...not very good at sewing althought I did used to make jointed teddy bears :-)
    Well done, it is looking very good..ChrissyX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :)

    if you made teddy bears you can sew :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I hate it when I sew over the piping! I did that just today with the pillows I made. Grrrr

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3