New Zealand Part 2

So I left the last post with me getting to Whitianga in the afternoon. Um can't really say much about the hostel other than it was clean (didn't really like the way the people that ran it treated the people staying there, so I wont mention the name).

Of course it was raining so we couldn't really do much, and Mr.Fuzzy had just got out of bed anyway (1 in the afternoon. lazy :P). And because he had just gotten out of bed he of course needed to have breakfast and that included toast with Vegemite spread on it. Offered me a piece and I should have just nodded "thanks no", but I was possibly still a zombie from the jet leg and said "yeah ok". Ok the smell alone should have warned me but I have never tasted anything so vile before and I don't think I will ever again (I know there are lots of people that love it, but I will never be one. John says that eating it he doesn't get bitten by bugs, which might be true). But there is a plus to the Vegemite, whenever he eats it I can't help but think of this moment. :)

And because it was pouring, I didn't really get to see much of Whitianga. We did go for a walk to get something to eat and bought sausages which turned out to be a cheap staple food for us the whole trip (and pasta because it also was cheap and light). I really wanted to see the hot pools but there is always next time :)

John managed to get some pictures the day before, but not many. Its another beach photo but it does give you an idea of what a nice day can look like.

So after we left Whitianga we headed towards Tauranga and after spending a bit of time phoning around we found a hostel to stay at. It was a new hostel that was actually still in the process of being finished but was very nice. Had a really nice open balcony:

And to the right:

Yes a train did go by at 4 in the morning and wake us up *grumble* The builders that were working on this place had the oddest hairstyles (and a hair style has to be very very odd for me to call it odd). Looked like the batteries in the clippers died half way through, or they could have been extras in a Mad Max movie. And one would think that if you were with another guy, even in just a friend capacity they wouldn't keep trying to hit on me.

This was also the hostel where Mr Fuzzy helped the women with her computer problems and we got a discount on the room because of this. Also the place where as I was bringing a box with the tea bags and the washing powder in it down the staircase (the hostel/hotel had a very art deco look to it. Nice big staircase), I fell down a few steps. So the powder ended up in the tea box but it wasn't too bad that we chucked the tea. Just took the ones on the top off and Mr Fuzzy finished taking the box down the stairs. (remember this for later)


We spent 3 lazy days walking around enjoying the sun which had decided to show up, and then it was on to Rotorua

No its not some distant alien planet, its in Rotorua, Lake Rotorua to be precise[its a big frikkin lake >> Mr Fuzzy] (I do remember though that Mr Fuzzy's shoes had started to melt in certain spots :P). Like it says in every guide book that ever mentions Rotorua, you smell it before you see it. Now I knew this before we decided to go there, but somehow Mr Fuzzy didn't see it in the guide book, and it wasn't until I showed him the passage that says the same as the above that he believed me it was actually in the book (2 different ones). Now you do get use to the smell, but he has a really good sense of smell and it was making him ill :/ So we only stayed for one day and if it wasn't for the fact the smell made him ill we would have stayed longer as there is lots to see and do.

Waterworks on the grounds of the Rotorua Museum of Art & History Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa. There were a lot of great carvings all over and it was a gorgeous day. Once again the smell was making Mr Fuzzy ill, not ill enough he didn't want to eat though and he thought that if we bought a pizza and ate it in the room it would help with the smell. Well it did help with the smell, didn't smell like sulphur. Clothes smelt like melted cheese though. :P [again another weird takeout place, where kids took someone else's pizza and the staff watched them eat it and denied any knowledge when the person came in to collect it, also central rottenrua looks like south central LA, with lots of teens who look like wannabe gangstas roaming the area....not surprising given the probation service is downtown and right across from where we were staying >> Mr Fuzzy...ARRRRR once again I be stealin this here blog of thar 7 intarwebz] << yes he is nuts :p

Next time.....Whakatane (potentially with photos if we can find the album they are in), Whanarua Bay and the trip there, Gisbourne and if I feel like writing a lot.....Napier :)

Comments

  1. Roturua does look unearthly, sounds like it smells unearthly too! Seems strange I never think of it raining in NZ. Wonder if the climate is similar to here? A great insight to somewhere that I will probably never get to see...I have a list but you can only ever cover a percentage of a list and fo a long journey, we so want to go to Canada :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. it rained probably about a third of the time I was in NZ but it was mostly showers. Bottom of NZ is similar to here. Some places like Cape Reinga is sub tropical. Very long country so the climate is very diverse.

    Canada is a great place to visit (not that I'm biased :P) avoid Saskatchewan and Manitoba they are very boring and very flat. Trust me after driving through them 3 times there is nothing to see apart from the worlds largest tractor and the occaasional road side giant thing (which are in every town that is on the trans-can) Alberta is very very flat in most places. The joke is you can see your dog/wife running away for miles. The badlands are cool and there is a lot of native history that is very neat to learn about. Lots to see in Ontario, but if you ever do go try not to spend most of the time in Toronto, which is what a lot of tourists do. (I hate Toronto, too many friken people!!) But its good for a couple days (John hasn't been to Toronto besides going to the airport even though he lived in Ontario at my dads for almost a year lol [probably because of my hatred for the city{never really like TO}])

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3