Scarab WIP post #2

Gorgeous day yesterday so we went for a drive and ended up at Lunan Bay. Of course I had worn a skirt and I almost flashed a few people the wind was so strong lol For such a large beach there were not that many people there, but that could be because we were there around noon and people were just getting up :p


Had my eyes tested and while my vision has not changed enough to get new glasses (which surprises me as I need to wear them all the time now), I do have to be aware of the possibility of my retina detaching and should I have another “episode” where my vision blacks out again I need to get looked at as quickly as possible. Way to freak a person out :p


So a small update on the scarab. The blue scarab body is finished, I burnished the layers with a light blue pencil (could be a deco blue but it is an old Berol Prisma so only has a number). I might go over the body with a colourless blender at the end if I think it needs to be more reflective looking.

It is turning out to be a little harder than I thought to match up the colours that are on a Peacock. Close but not that close :/ Still think it is looking very nice and the idea is still a good one that I might just make a sculpture out of.


With new drawings that I am going to draw I really need to include detailed backgrounds, so I think that will be a goal for the next 2 months. Include backgrounds that are not just a few colours. With pets portraits a simple background is sometimes best, but with my fantasy art I want to try to make the backgrounds just as interesting as the main subject. This will be hard as backgrounds are not something I usually do, but figured its about time I started. :)

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:23 am

    The scarab is looking wonderful!
    Peacock colors are quite the challenge.
    There is a bronze color in peacock feathers that is not easy to match.

    I cheat on backgrounds and start out with a colored paper.

    Take good care of your eyes, dear one. Hello to John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so hear you on the background thing...I made similar comments on my blog this week. Still haven't made any progress though.

    Scary about the eyes...sorry to hear that. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its coming along great. I love the colours, they change it comepletely from the ink. Its already looking striking! Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks leslie :) the bronze/shiny colour is what I am having problems with. I could cheat and use the bronze pencil but I have never liked it because its too shiny :p John says hello too :) I cheat too, but I think its time I stopped and tried the background thing (whether or not I actually do remains to be seen :P)

    yeah it was a little scary to hear that rose, but she did say that if it does happen and I get it looked at immediately it can be stopped or at the vary least slowed down. I am the first to admit that I hate backgrounds lol hopefully you make some progress with yours rose :)

    thanks chrissy :) I'm regretting not doing this in ink though, the cps are taking forever :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. fingers crossed your eyes never give you any problems!
    and i love the scarab!
    do you do many sculptures?
    would love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use to do a lot of clay sculptures in high school, now not so much :/ Wish I had a kiln to use because it would always be full, but sculpey works just as good if not better for some effects. I wish I had pictures of them, but I only have photos of the cake topper I did for our wedding and that was a quick one night job (never should have left it to 4 days before the wedding :p)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3